Before 1921, there was not a formally organized black Baptist church in the city of Marion, Ohio. A group of black citizens led by Brother Holmes began worship services in his home around 1919. He called this group the Baptist Mission. Their number increased and the services were moved to a building on Hoyle Street. Their first pastor was Reverend M.J. Bomont, and under the his leadership the Mission became the Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church.